We caught up with Paul to get his take on his favourite places to visit in Sydney and to find out what he’s most looking forward to at March into Merivale!
Q: Where do you go to get a great cup of coffee (or tea if you’re not a latte lover)?
Henley’s Whole Foods in my apartment, they do great coffee.
Q: If you could only eat one last meal on this earth, where and what would it be?
I would eat haggis, mashed potatoes and mashed turnips! I have to! It’s my heritage and I don’t eat it often. But, when I do, I’m in heaven.
Q: Please share with us your 5 all time favourite restaurants or bars in Sydney.
- Kashiwa Yakiniku is so good, the marinades are packed with flavour and the meat quality is extraordinary for the price point.
- Golden Century because it’s a place to go with fellow chefs and generally have a great time eating fresh live seafood.
- Khao Pla is probably Sydney’s best Thai restaurant (in my eyes), everything is on another level. It’s a great price point and exceptional ingredients.
- El Loco is a great bar to drink at and eat tacos. We used to go there every weekend and we had the best time.
- Palmer & Co. is probably my favourite bar. It’s classy and they have great food.
Q: If you had visitors in town, where would be the first place you’d take them to dine and/or drink?
Q: Where do you buy your produce in Sydney?
For home cooking it varies. If I’m cooking Thai I usually go to Pon Tip on Campbell Street – they have loads of fresh food.
Q: What inspired your passion for food and what does food mean to you?
Food means everything to me. It’s my livelihood, my passion. I wake up in the middle of the night and the first thing I think of is “How can I make this dish better’.
Q: What do you want your ‘food’ legacy to be?
To be known as an ‘Asian White Boy’.
Q: Tell us something not many people know about you!
I am a Werewolf. [Note: we have yet to substantiate this claim.]
Q: What event are you most looking forward to at March into Merivale this year?
I can’t wait for Between Two Buns – all my mates are involved and I have some family attending as well so it’ll be fun.